Donald Trump has backtracked over his claims about the release of the JFK files.
The President tweeted today: ‘JFK Files are being carefully released. In the end there will be great transparency. It is my hope to get just about everything to public!’
Three hundred of the files will not be released.
Mr Trump had previously said that he was determined to make public the entire cache of documents relating to the death of John F Kennedy.
Most of the previously classified files were released last night – but with some major omissions.
A number of documents were left out of the unveiling by The President due to security concerns raised by the FBI.
In a memo Mr Trump wrote: ‘The American public expects – and deserves – its Government to provide as much access as possible to the President John F. Kennedy Assassination Records so that the people may finally be fully informed about all aspects of this pivotal event.
‘Therefore, I am ordering today that the veil finally be lifted. At the same time, executive departments and agencies have proposed to me that certain information should continue to be redacted because of national security, law enforcement, and foreign affairs concerns.
- Trump releases JFK files but orders around 300 documents be kept secret
- Trump takes credit as JFK file classification expires
‘I have no choice – today – but to accept those redactions rather than allow potentially irreversible harm to our Nation’s security.’
He placed those files under a six-month review while allowing 2,800 others come out, just meeting a deadline to honour a law mandating their release.
The documents approved for release and made public late on Thursday capture the frantic days after the assassination on November 22 1963, during which federal agents madly chased after tips, however thin, juggled rumours and sifted through leads worldwide.
They include cables, notes and reports stamped “Secret”.
One surprising revelation was that a British local newspaper received an anonymous call about “some big news” in America 25 minutes before President John F Kennedy was assassinated.
A memo to the director of the FBI said the anonymous phone call was made to the senior reporter at the Cambridge News at 6.05pm on the day Kennedy was shot in Dallas, Texas.
The document, from deputy director James Angleton, said: “The British Security Service (MI-5) has reported that at 1805GMT on 22 November an anonymous telephone call was made in Cambridge, England, to the senior reporter of the Cambridge News.
“The caller said only that the Cambridge News reporter should call the American Embassy in London for some big news and then hung up.”